The Central street of London got its name in honor of the great Palace of Whitehall, that was the residence of English kings from 1530 to 1698 years, the largest palace in Europe at that time. It should be noticed that this is the place, where Henry VIII celebrated his marriage with Anne Boleyn, and later with Jane Seymour. The Palace was burnt down in 1698. The only remaining part of Whitehall is the Banqueting House, built in 1622. Later the building of the Ministry of Defence and the Royal Navy, the Horse Guards and the Admiralty were erected on the site of the ruins. Now the name of the street became a common designation of the British government, because almost all of its territory is occupied with the buildings of the main Agencies and Ministries in the UK.